I Could Write a Book

Monday, October 31, 2005

mellowed.

I have had a most interesting week.

I can't even begin to discuss all of it because, quite frankly, so much of it has escaped me. Perhaps the reason why will reveal itself in a moment.

I suppose I'll begin with last Monday. After having had a wonderful weekend with J and Rach in town, I was overwhelmed with sadness when it came time for them to leave. But, of course, life needed to move forward, so I cried on the drive home from the airport, but still managed to get to my 7:30 a.m. SA meeting with a couple of minutes to spare. Really, for as quickly as it went, the weekend was fantastic. Rachel just amazes me--she's 3 and funny and adorable and smart and fun and contagiously bubbly. Nothing brings a smile to my face like talking to her on the phone for a few minutes about princesses, kitty cats, Opa's funny picture, and pink candy. Or when she tickles me over the phone (and thankfully, narrates, as I don't exactly feel the "tickled" sensation...) I can't help but laugh and smile. I particularly enjoyed when she was showing me a picture of this little boy, Isaac, and told me, instead, that his name was "Ipod." Hmmm...isn't she an "early adopter?"

Anyway, the rest of the week is really a blur, highlighted with a few phone conversations, a couple of less-than-productive evenings, and 2 100% grades. Also, we had a shockingly successful "coffee house" sort of thing on Thursday evening in the Shak, I had a fantastically un-seminaryesque conversation with Eileen at Starbucks on Wednesday, and I officially submitted my Vietnam application on Tuesday. Uneventful, I assure you. Enter Friday.

Friday morning, Suzy and I made plans to have coffee together at her place, so we met up and had a lovely time. We drank our java, enjoyed some cookies (homemade by her Oma), and generally appreciated taking some time to catch up since we see each other on such infrequent and inconvenient occasions. Eventually, we came the one certain topic: What did I think of Debbie and Brian living together because they're not yet married?

I gave her my thoughts on the issue (I personally don't agree with their decision, but they know I feel that way, and I don't think I should stop being their friend just because I have a different viewpoint), and she proceeded to tell me that some people on the campus were so bothered by the fact that the two of them were in campus housing pre-wedding that they were going to report it to the Housing Office.

This bothered me because:
1) If you have a problem with Brian and Debbie, you go to Brian and Debbie,
2) If you don't feel you can do that, it's probably because you're not close enough to them
3) If you're not close enough to do that (or adult enough), then mind your own business...Don't expect things to change unless you're willing to be proactive about them!

Anyway...I had already made plans with Debbie to drive out and meet up with Brian for lunch on his break...So, I decided I'd spring this information on the two of them and see what happened. I talked to Debbie in the car, and she then relayed everything to Brian. What did they ultimately conclude? That they would get married.

Now, it's important to mention that they were already engaged at the time, that their wedding was set for next August, and that they had previously discussed eloping just to save money.

Debbie called Beckie (her pastor at Edgewood) because she and Brian were supposed to be going to her house for a party that night, and she (Debbie) wanted to discuss what she and Brian needed to do to elope. Beckie said, "well...why don't you just show up tonight and get married?"

8 hours, two bottles of champagne, one wedding cake, and several off key, unpracticed choir members later, Debbie Duckworth became Debbie Saxe. Yup--they got married the very same night.

I was, in fact, in the wedding...and will also (still) be in the "celebration" ceremony that will (still) take place next August--so all of the family and friends can participate.

Needless to say, it was a crazy night. As Ben said, "I definitely didn't wake up this morning thinking I was coming to a wedding tonight!"

Also, I just have to mention that, when Debbie and Brian kissed, Beckie said something like "Get a room," to which I quickly responded, "Better yet, get an apartment." Indeed, I think I am hilarious.

Saturday, I slept, thought about homework a little bit, then went over to Ben's place for dinner and 2 movies.

Today, I went to church, came back here, watched a miserable Browns game, and am now working on a paper to give to Dave tomorrow afternoon.

But, I'm glad that yesterday and today were not all that eventful. Friday was sufficient enough, I think.

Also, I had a dream last night that I was at my own wedding. I married someone named "Patrick Stutzman" or something like that. It took place at 3 different churches (all of which were familiar to me) and, throughout the dream, I had different perspectives...I mean, I was always me, and it was always my wedding, but there were times when I was sitting in the congregation, times when I was up front, etc. Very interesting, indeed.

Ok, I think it's safe to say that I've officially gone off my rocker. Good night! :0)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home