I Could Write a Book

Sunday, July 31, 2005

Weird Science.

Have you ever seen the movie Heathers? I watched it for the first time last night, and I am not exactly sure what to do with it. In one sense, it is an extremely magnified portrayl of high school life--or at least the inner turmoil that seems to infect everyone between the ages of 14 and 18--but, in another sense, it seems to be so inaccurate, save for the experience of one bitter outsider.

Of course, being an outsider would not have been enjoyable...But, in one's own way, everyone probably feels like an outsider. I was always very well-liked in high school, and managed to get along with almost everyone, but there were still times when I felt completely disconnected from the rest of the student body. I was never "as-this" as one person and too much of "that" as compared with another. I guess everyone probably feels that way to some extent. We can't all be the best at everything...

But, as a teenager, I still felt so much pressure (mostly self-inflicted) to be the best, and it really is not about that. Even still, it is so engrained in me that I struggle with thinking that anything less than an "A" is failing and I have a hard time admitting that I can't do something by myself. There is so much out there--so much available in the world--and I need only to listen to those who are willing to teach. Everyone knows more about something than someone else with whom they're in contact. I could teach you to play piano and you could teach me American Sign Language (as I know only the alphabet and a handful of words). And, sometimes the lessons aren't about a specific topic. My great grandma (we called Mom) died when she was 105, but taught me important lessons about wisdom, patience, and handling difficulties with grace and optimism. You don't get that kind of stuff in a classroom, necessarily. And my mom taught me a life-altering lesson in facing your fears when she was diagnosed with cancer. Even Eric, in cheating on me while concurrently asking me about what type of wedding ring I wanted...even he taught me lessons.

Of less importance, I learned last night that Neil Diamond is 64 years old. And, for those of you not aware, I will be seeing him in concert in one week, 3 hours, and 22 minutes (approximately, of course). I can't wait! Music is so important to me, and Neil is so important to music. :0)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home