I Could Write a Book

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

L'Education

Today was the first official day back to school...I began the morning with Christian Education, followed it up with Ethics, went to Convocation, had a quick lunch and MS02 meeting, then went straight to my WMI meeting. I stopped by my apartment long enough to grab some textbooks, then sat outside and read for awhile. I ran back to my apartment, changed clothes, and went to the rec to workout. And now I am here, in the library, and I'm sweaty and gross.

All in all, it was a good day back. It was nice to see people again--I didn't get the chance to talk to anyone for a super-long time, but got to catch up a little bit with Michael, Keith, and Elizabeth. Education (herein, PS01) is going to be an interesting class, and, though its intended primarily for a church setting, I think I will take away some tools that will help me be more effective in a college classroom as well. We have already signed up for a group project, and I had the fortune of getting Debbie and April in my group. The three of us, being the overachievers that we are, will knock the socks off of whatever project we actually are assigned.

Ethics was fantastic. We have a new professor, with whom I have already had a few one-on-one conversations. She is great. We are going to talk about some pretty juicy subjects over the course of the term, and my particular break out group (there are about 20 of us in it) contains some staunch liberals, equally staunch conservatives, and a few of us who fall either just left or just right of center. I look forward to being challenged by the compelling arguments sure to come from every direction.

Convocation was just as dry as ever...our president gives the address every year, and he just has no concept of fluidity or organization. In other words, he puts together a few (read: 25 minutes worth) of his favorite comments on life (and he was far too political today, in my opinion), and slaps some title onto all of it, thinking that a title magically conglomerates the content within. There were any number of things upon which he could've expounded and produced a noteworthy speech. Unfortunately, he chose a different route and left all of us bored. At least, as a student, I didn't have to look as interested as most of my professors. Fortunately, one homiletics professor is on sabbatical, and the other is teaching a few doctoral classes right now, so neither had to hide the convulsions that surely would've come about as a result of this mess. There were many of us wishing we were like dogs, with two eyelids, so that we could've slept while still appearing to be awake and interested. Oh well, c'est la vie.

Lunch was nice--free today (the last time until someone important comes on campus--probably the board in November). I caught up with a few people, though it was sort of a bummer to be segregated because MS02 has our lunchtime meetings. Tomorrow, I hope to again join the ranks of the lunchtime crew.

I am liking the way my schedule is shaping up for the term. I have things going on every day until about 4:30, and have successfully managed to keep Friday clear of EVERYTHING. No meetings, no work, no class, no nothing. It will be a good day for homework and working out and all of that other jazz.

On an unrelated note, I got back to my apartment last night to find a card under my door. It was a birthday card with $2 inside from Eddie, our security guard. On the front of the card, it had the canned message about my birthday, but it was also covered in a variety of colors. Eddie added his own message, saying, "These colors represent your personality." Eddie is one of those people who you just can't help but love. He is the sweetest man, and his job as "security guard" calls so many things to question. By his own admission, 85 year-old women could outrun him. Even if he doesn't necessarily keep this place secure as some might wish, he still makes it a better, happier place. On the worst of days, it only takes 2 seconds of Eddie to feel like the most important, special, loved person in the world. :0)

Anyway, as I write this, I still stink after working out. I better go do something about that before Ben gets here!! :0) Yay! I'm so excited! :0)

1 Comments:

At 9/09/2005 09:31:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't berieve yaou actuarry went thlaough with it! I mean, I can, but I can't! :-) I might have to learry considel it. What is 'peace' again?

BTW, we ale cullentry watching uncre Lich daoing the Pitt-Aoh PU gamesy. I can't bereive the MAC is winning!!! Coor!

bpb.fl.b.b.fl.b.b.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home