I Could Write a Book

Thursday, December 07, 2006

oh the weather outside...

So, it is only the first snow-sticking day of the season, and I'm already scared to drive.

Let me back up: it wasn't always this way. 3.5 years ago at this time, I had no fear at all--caution. of course, but no real fear about driving in snow.

And, even now, it's not driving while it's snowing that gets to me. It's driving after snow and ice have already screwed up the roads.

I should point out, too, that I drive a Mustang. Not a snowmobile. And, 3.5 years ago, I drove the last Mustang under a semi. No, this wasn't a dare...nor was I an extra for Too Fast, Too Furious. I was just a casual driver who hit one too many ice patches on the highway that was supposed to get me from Nashville, TN to Oxford, OH. Apparently, I needed a stop in Louisville, KY on the way (oddly enough, at the hospital where I was born).

To further justify my feelings of concern, I should say that I was already on the road this afternoon; 45 minutes ago, I set out to get to the west end of town, knowing that, with weather, normal rush hour traffic, and the Steelers playing (and losing to) the BROWNS tonight, it would not be a short drive if I waited any later. However, as I went to go down a hill and found I was having a lot of trouble stopping and had lost most of my power to steer (fortunately, I was far away from the guy in front of me, and the van behind me was quite patient), I made up my mind to turn at the first place I could and get back to my apartment where driving is not required. Now, there's still a good chance that I'll go across town tonight--opting for a different, less hilly route--but I am glad I came back here to give myself some time to settle down. I didn't realize that I was quite as shaken by the sliding (it was only on the one road too...they'd salted the road that led to the hill, but not the hill itself--what sense does that make) until I got out of the car and couldn't get control of my apartment key in my hand to unlock the door.

All of this, and yet I have two things that I am holding on to:

1. There's no sense at all in allowing my fears to dominate my life. Sure, it is wise to drive cautiously all of the time--especially in yucky winter weather--but I can't put everything else on hold (which I'd have to do since I live 25 minutes from everything in which I'm involved...and from Joe [sheesh, I can't wait until we're married]).

2. I'm protected by God, who is bigger than snow storms, icy roads, and even possible car accidents. And even whatever inconvenience, injury, or death could result. Plus, I don't have any idea what the plan is for my life, but I'm going to operate under the belief that it is something significant and big and important because it is uniquely mine.

I still miss having my truck...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home