I Could Write a Book

Thursday, November 10, 2005

little peggy ann mckay

Last day of classes! (Except for one on Monday)

I feel like the term has flown by all too quickly to be that excited about its coming to a close. After all, I really like the people in my classes, so it's never that fun to do the old "switcheroo" every ten weeks. Oh well, nonetheless, the time has come.

Doctrine was fun today...first, we listened to this woman talk about the Wesley family for awhile (read: Doug and I wrote back and forth to each other on his laptop). Then, we split into groups to discuss John Wesley for awhile...George, in trying to "mix it up" a bit for the last day put Arnie, Jon, Keith, and I into one group. He really should have known better. So, we spent way too long doing nothing and not very long doing what we needed to do. So then, we got back to class and George sent all of us on a 20 minute break.

At that point, Keith proceeded to create a life story for me since he didn't know anything but has decided that I am rich (I made that decision about him too, so we bicker back and forth about it all the time). Whether or not he's right is, of course, not the point...plus, correcting him doesn't seem to help. The story is as follows:

Apparently, my grandparents (both sets) traveled here from Ireland as a result of the famine. They struggled to survive, but eventually hit upon the gambling industry. As that was profitable, my dad (apparently, his name is Sam) decided to take on the family business. One day, as he was out scanning other equally seedy joints, he met a waitress and used the following pickup line to win her heart: "Is your dad an astronomer, because I can see stars in your eyes." While this wouldn't normally work, it was hugely effective on the woman who, we find out, is my mom, because her name is actually "Star."

Unfortunately, class resumed, so Keith was not able to finish telling what proved to be a brilliant and almost accurate story...(or not).

For the record: the grandparents were all born in the states, have never worked in gambling, and my parents are Steve and Susan, not Sam and Star.

Anyway, the weekend has officially begun, and with that, I will be doing oh-so-much reading, writing, and studying.

My plan is to finish all things academic by Wednesday, and then I will use Thursday to clean my apartment, begin decorating for Christmas, and Ben will arrive sometime that evening, I imagine. Hurray!

Also, I am going with Tom, Keith, Josh, Allen, Matt, and possibly Dr. Humphrey to hear James G.D. Dunn speak on Tuesday evening about the Quest for the Historical Jesus. Fascinating stuff...plus, I'm currently reading a book on the subject by E.P. Sanders...I'll elaborate on it once I've finished reading (if you're really lucky, maybe I'll even post my paper).

Ok, bye :0)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home