I Could Write a Book

Monday, August 08, 2005

postsecret

Yesterday, in Entertainment Weekly, I read an article about this website, actually a blog, that displays postcards sent in anonymously that share the secrets of hundreds of people in the world...It is unbelievably moving...and I found myself relating to nearly all of them in one way or another, which has made me think about which secrets I'd post in hopes that sharing them would somehow ease the pain...

Obviously, I won't be posting those secrets here.

I went to Mom and Dad's this weekend and enjoyed myself greatly. I am loving this new concept of not having my phone on all the time. On Friday, we went to Dad's company picnic for awhile, had some dinner, then watched this movie called "What the Bleep do We Know?" It is a very interesting film dealing with exestentialism and the existence of things versus our perception of them and the way that memories create our emotive response to current situations, etc. Fascinating.

Saturday, I slept in (finally, I got sleep after a horrible sleepless week!), then did some things around the house. In the evening, we went to Blossom with Judie and Tim and I lived in a state of pure joy for 2.5 hours. Something about George Gershwin's music just does it--his rhythms, the way he challenges chord structure...fabulous. Although, I did count 6 mistakes in the pianists performance of "Rhapsody in Blue" but it's not exactly easy.

Sunday, I went to church with Mom and Dad at some new place...saw Cindy and Dan there as well. Then we went to breakfast at "Jeremiah Junction," this downhome diner sort of place. The hashbrowns were especially good. We went back to the house, I read for a long time, then we had a nice (and early) dinner before Mom and I headed downtown for the NEIL DIAMOND CONCERT!

It was fabulous. It was rumored the Neil puts on a good show, and he does. He did most of the classics: Song Sung Blue, Forever in Blue Jeans, Sweet Caroline, Coming to America, Shiloh, Cracklin' Rosie, Red Red Wine, I'm a Believer, Love on the Rocks, You Don't Bring Me Flowers...and more. Sadly, there was no September Morn or Hello, Again. Oh well. Can't get them all. We had terrific seats...and we had a lot of fun people-watching...especially the 80+ year old woman who was jumping around and dancing and clapping along to everything, and the 25 year old Don Johnson wannabe (white suit and all) who was drunk as a skunk and clearly annoying his girlfriend.

I woke up at 6 this morning and showered, packed, and headed back here. I had to be at work at 10 (yay!), and arrived with time to spare. I worked for 4 hours or so, then proceeded to see "Charlie and The Chocolate Factory" which, I must say, is quite different...especially the ending. Certainly worth watching again.

It was almost surreal to hear that Peter Jennings died. Along with Pope John Paul II, Peter Jennings is just one of those people who seemed as if he couldn't die because he's just been there. And my family always watched World News Tonight with Peter Jennings, and it hasn't really seemed right since he left in April. Of course, that he died of cancer only compounds the true feelings of sadness that I have for his loss. 67 years old seems so young now...

I'm talking to Jon right now...the first time in a long while. He's fantastic. It's a bummer that he was in the U.S. while I was in Israel, but that's the price you pay, I guess...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home