I Could Write a Book

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

7.

You would think that a 7 a.m. phone call might annoy the snot out of me...particularly on a day when sleeping in until 9 or 9:30 was perfectly acceptable...and normally, you would be right to think that. I am not, as they say, a morning person. I like to sleep in (though I hardly remember what that's like), I like to wake up on my own, and the only person who can wake me up without fear is Rachel...Because, let's be honest, you can't get any cuter than Rach. And, she has proven herself to be rather persistent with her repetitious "Wake up, Aunt K. Wake up, Aunt K. Wake up, Aunt K!" :0)

This morning, my phone rang at 7. I'm surprised, in all honesty, that I managed to gain enough coherence to understand, first, that my phone was ringing and, second, that I needed to answer it. I stumbled into my living room (where my phone was charging) and offered a half-hearted hello. And it was Conor!

Ah yes, Mr. Guam himself called to chat, and it was good. We talked for just shy of 2 hours(!), which is fairly typical...of course, I don't count the first 15 minutes or so of the conversation, as I was still sleeping (which why I made a comment that military time involved dividing by twelve, rather than subtracting twelve). We're weird. We give each other a hard time about everything, but manage to take it all with a grain of salt. He spoke of the possibility of going to Iraq in May. Of course, I never like to think about that, but I know it's what he wants--he really wants to make a difference--so I have to be happy for him. I'm just pleased as punch (who says that, really?) that he has only a year a change left in the AF, and then he'll be in the states on a more permanent basis.

I have begun the process of getting my laundry together. Because I will be journeying to Cleveland on two different occasions over this break, I only plan to take half of my clothing. But, lest you think that minimizes anything, be not deceived: the "half" that I'm not taking this time fills two laundry baskets to capacity. It's sad, really, how much clothing I have. And I just gave away a whole bunch of it!

Also, last night, I went through all of my classes to see what work I need to do over the next two weeks. While it can certainly keep me busy, nothing is quite as overwhelming as I'd initially feared it might be.

Anyway, it's nice to start off my day on such a positive note.

Time to finish packing (I have to get out some games for our 4th Annual Family Game Night!!!), then a shower, and I'll be off! I wisely filled my gas tank and went to the bank for toll money yesterday, so I should be able to just take off from lunch. It will really be good to be with my family again. :0) Bye!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home